This article aims to Business Intelligence products & services. It should help interested users to compare and select the best solution for their needs. According to the best business intelligence tools prepared in this category comprise of systems designed to capture, categorize, and analyze corporate data and extract best practices for improved decision making. The more advanced the system is, the more data sources it will combine, including internal metrics coming from different company departments, and external data extracted from third-party systems, social media channels, emails, or even macroeconomic data. Ultimately, business intelligence tools help companies gain insight into their overall growth, sales trends, and customer behavior.
Power BI is Microsoft’s latest addition to its Business Intelligence Products & Service. It is a cloud-based Self-Service Business Intelligence tool that can mainly be used for Data Visualization and Data Analysis.
It is a stock of software, applications, connectors and service that function together to turn unrelated sources of data into coherent, visually immersive, and interactive insights.
Components for Microsoft's Power BI:
Power BI consists of a group of apps and can be used either on the desktop, as a SaaS product or on a mobile device. Power BI Desktop does the on-premises variant, Power BI Service is the cloud-based offering and mobile Power BI runs on mobile devices.
The various components of Power BI are proposed to let users build and share business insights in a way that fits with their role.
Included within Power BI are various components that help users create and share data reports.
- Power Query: It can be utilized for searching, access, and transform public including internal data sources.
- Power Pivot: Used in data modeling in-memory analytics.
- Power View: Analyze, Visualize and display data as an Interactive data Visualization tool.
- Power Map: Produce data to life including interactive geographical visualization.
- Power BI Service: Experience data views and workbooks refresh-able of on-premises and cloud-based data sources.
- Power BI Q&A: Ask questions and get immediate answers with natural language queries.
- Data Management Gateway: Periodic data refreshers, Expose tables and views as OData feed to external consumers.
- Data Catalog: Metadata for facilitated search functionality. Users can easily discover and reuse queries.
Key features of Power BI
Microsoft has added a number of data analytics features to Power BI considering its conception and continues to do so. Some of the most important features include:
Artificial Intelligence -- Users can use image recognition and text analytics in Power BI, create machine understanding models using automated machine learning capabilities and initiate with Azure Machine Learning.
- Hybrid Deployment Support -- This feature supports built-in connectors that grant Power BI tools to join with a number of various data sources in Microsoft, Salesforce and other vendors.
- Quick Insights -- That feature grants users to create subsets of data and automatically apply analytics to that information.
- Common Data Model Support -- Power BI's support for the common data model allows the use of a standardized and extensible collection of data schemas (entities, attributes, and relationships).
- Cortana Integration -- This feature, which is especially popular on mobile devices, allows users to verbally query data using natural language and access results, using Cortana, Microsoft's digital assistant.
- Self-Service Data Prep -- Using Power Query, business analysts can ingest, transform, integrate and enrich big data into the Power BI web service. Ingested data can be shared across multiple Power BI models, reports and dashboards.
- Customization -- This feature allows developers to change the appearance of default visualization and reporting tools and import new tools into the platform.
- APIs for Integration -- This feature provides developers with sample code and application performance interfaces (APIs) for embedding the Power BI dashboard in other software products.
- Modeling View -- This allows users to divide complex data models by subject area into separate diagrams, multi-select objects and set common properties, view and modify properties in the properties panel and set display folders for simpler consumption of complex data models.